Located on the North Dakota-Minnesota border, the twin cities of Fargo and Moorhead offer a unique blend of small town charm and big city attractions. Whether you're a history buff, an art enthusiast, or an outdoor adventurer, the Fargo-Moorhead area has something for you. Here's a guide to the top attractions in the area.
1. Fargo Air Museum: For aviation enthusiasts, the Fargo Air Museum is a must-see. The museum houses an impressive collection of historic aircraft, including a P-51 Mustang and a Corsair. The exhibits are constantly changing, so there's always something new to see.
2. Plains Art Museum: The largest art museum in North Dakota, the Plains Art Museum features a diverse collection spanning traditional folk art, contemporary works, and Native American art. With over 4,000 works of art, it's a cultural treasure trove.
3. The Fargo Theatre: An iconic landmark in downtown Fargo, the Fargo Theatre is a beautifully restored Art Deco movie theater that offers independent films, concerts, and other live performances. Don't forget to snap a photo of the theater's famous marquee!
4. Red River Zoo: The Red River Zoo showcases species from around the world that live in climates similar to Fargo's. From red pandas to gray wolves, the zoo offers a fun and educational experience for visitors of all ages.
5. Hjemkomst Center: Over in Moorhead, the Hjemkomst Center is home to a replica of a Viking ship that sailed from Norway to the United States. The center also houses a full-scale replica of a Norwegian stave church.
6. Bluestem Prairie Scientific and Natural Area: If you love the great outdoors, make sure to visit the Bluestem Prairie Scientific and Natural Area. With over 6,000 acres of native prairie, the preserve is a haven for wildlife and a wonderful place for bird watching.
7. Fargo-Moorhead Symphony Orchestra: For a touch of sophistication, enjoy a performance by the Fargo-Moorhead Symphony Orchestra. They offer a variety of concerts throughout the year, ranging from classical to pop.
8. Downtown Fargo: Last but not least, take some time to explore downtown Fargo. With its historic buildings, unique shops, and delicious dining options, it's the heart and soul of the city.
The Fargo-Moorhead area is a dynamic region that offers a wide range of attractions. Whether you're exploring history at the Hjemkomst Center, enjoying the arts at the Plains Museum, or appreciating nature at the Bluestem Prairie Scientific and Natural Area, there's always something exciting to do in Fargo-Moorhead.